The Real Reason Casemiro Sits Out Man Utd's Final Day Clash Against Brighton

The Real Reason Casemiro Sits Out Man Utd's Final Day Clash Against Brighton

Manchester United wrap up what has been an ultimately encouraging 2024–25 season with an away fixture against Brighton & Hove Albion this Sunday afternoon.

The Red Devils navigated an unusually condensed campaign due to their lack of European football and early exits from domestic cup competitions. Nevertheless, the lighter schedule benefited several key players, including midfielder Casemiro, who enjoyed a remarkable revival in central midfield — particularly after Michael Carrick took charge.

Despite his impressive resurgence, it had already been determined that Casemiro would depart the club when his contract expires this summer. He has been a near-constant presence alongside Kobbie Mainoo in Carrick's midfield pivot, and replacing him will be no easy task.

He bid farewell to Old Trafford last week following United's controversial victory over Nottingham Forest, a match that will go down as his final appearance for the club.

Why Casemiro Isn't Playing for Man Utd vs. Brighton

Casemiro

Casemiro was among those who backed Carrick for the permanent role following his successful interim stint, and the Brazilian's wish was fulfilled ahead of the season finale. Carrick has officially been named Man Utd manager on a two-year contract, having guided the Red Devils back into the Champions League with a third-place Premier League finish.

As a result, the club's main objective on the final day at Brighton is helping Bruno Fernandes break the single-season assist record. Casemiro played a significant role in the Portuguese star's pursuit, with the midfielder's last six United goals all set up by Fernandes.

However, United's skipper won't have Casemiro's support on Sunday, as a decision was made following last week's victory that the Brazilian will not feature at Brighton on the final day of the season.

Explaining the reasoning, Carrick said: "It just felt the right time, I think, for Case; it was decided, and he was part of that as well. It was the right time, there is an element of balance, like I've just said, the last game, we're not done, the season's not done for us. We're really conscious of that.

"So, there's a real balance between trying new things, moving forward, keep evolving. There are always games we'll try different things in that some might notice, some people might not notice others. So, I think the biggest thing is we're really conscious to respect this last game, what it stands for, and obviously try and make the best of it for us. We want to go down there and put in a good performance and try to win the game." 

Man Utd's Potential Casemiro Replacements

Kobbie Mainoo

Man Utd will make signing Casemiro's successor a top priority at the start of the summer transfer window, having already addressed their attacking needs ahead of the 2025–26 campaign.

Manuel Ugarte has no long-term future at the club, and Mason Mount is not considered a permanent solution alongside Mainoo.

A number of players have already been linked with a move to Old Trafford, including former target Carlos Baleba. United are in the market for a defensive-minded stabilizer to allow Mainoo to thrive, much as Casemiro did, with Real Madrid's Aurélien Tchouaméni considered the ideal candidate. Manchester City are frontrunners for Elliot Anderson, while Éderson, Alex Scott, and Mateus Fernandes are also being monitored by the club.

Don't miss a story

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox.