Xabi Alonso's Cryptic Comments Spark Fresh Doubts Over Enzo Fernandez's Future

Xabi Alonso's Cryptic Comments Spark Fresh Doubts Over Enzo Fernandez's Future

Chelsea head coach Xabi Alonso publicly backed unsettled midfielder Enzo Fernández while sidestepping several questions regarding the Argentine's future as the new Premier League season approaches.

Fernández faced disciplinary action from Chelsea after openly courting Real Madrid late in the previous campaign, but the Spanish club publicly turned down the opportunity to acquire him. The 25-year-old has since attracted interest from Manchester City and former Chelsea manager Enzo Maresca.

Chelsea set a deadline for City, stating they had until the close of Friday, Aug. 14 to submit an offer of $162 million (£120 million), after which Fernández would be taken off the market. No bid materialized, yet uncertainty over his future persists, with Alonso's evasive responses only adding to the speculation.

When asked whether Fernández would still be at Chelsea when the transfer window closes, Alonso said: "Enzo is a Chelsea player. He's a top player. He's training well, he's preparing for Monday [against Fulham] and that's my concern at the moment and what I have in mind."

Alonso was most evasive when pressed on whether Fernández had expressed a wish to remain at Stamford Bridge.

"He's training really well," Alonso deflected. "I see him with a good attitude. That's what we want. Everyone is trying their best to prepare for the kickoff of the Premier League."

Likewise, when questioned about whether Fernández would keep his vice-captaincy, Alonso answered: "Reece [James] is the first captain and we have other leaders, other personalities that share the same role."

Will Fernández Remain at Chelsea?

Enzo Fernández, Roméo Lavia

Despite Chelsea's self-imposed deadline having passed, the club is reportedly still willing to entertain offers for Fernández. The $162 million figure had been agreed upon with his representatives and effectively functioned as a release clause, with Chelsea pledging to accept such a sum before Aug. 14.

Chelsea have publicly insisted on retaining Fernández, citing the disruption a sale would cause to Alonso's squad so close to the season opener, yet it is widely believed the club would still entertain the right offer. That said, a bid of $162 million is no longer thought to be enough.

Barring any surprise developments, City appear to be the sole suitor for Fernández's signature. They recently raised $88 million from the sale of Rodri to Barcelona and have agreed to sell winger Savinho to Tottenham Hotspur in a deal worth up to $116 million. Striker Omar Marmoush is expected to follow the Brazilian out the door in a slightly smaller transaction.

City therefore possess the financial means to table a substantial offer for Fernández, though exactly where Chelsea's valuation stands at this late point in the summer window remains uncertain.

Should Fernández stay at Chelsea, he will need to work to win back a fanbase that has been split by his recent behaviour.

He was met with boos when he came on as a substitute during his preseason appearance against Real Sociedad last week, though those jeers were quickly countered by chants of support, underscoring the division among supporters.

"Well, he was not just booed, they as well chanted his name," Alonso noted. "It's not unusual, it can happen.

"We support him, we have a great player with Enzo, he's a top player, he's been so important. Once we start the competition, we need the support and we need the full commitment of all the team and all the supporters when they come to Stamford Bridge."

Don't miss a story

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox.