It wasn't solely Neymar Jr's recent resurgence in form at Santos that prompted Brazil head coach Carlo Ancelotti to include him in the Seleção's official 2026 World Cup roster—it was the veteran's complete transformation in mindset and attitude.
The 34-year-old attacking star, who holds the record as Brazil's all-time top scorer with 79 goals, has never been a stranger to the spotlight and has thrived under its most intense glare—whether across the previous three World Cup tournaments, at Camp Nou alongside Lionel Messi during his Barcelona days, or at the Parc des Princes with French giants Paris Saint-Germain, also playing beside the man widely regarded as the greatest footballer ever.
Neymar's capacity to rise to the occasion on football's biggest stages was never in doubt. What Ancelotti needed to determine was whether the 34-year-old was more invested in personal fame or, instead, in the Seleção. The attacker convinced the Italian tactician that his loyalty lies firmly with the latter.
That realization cemented Ancelotti's choice to include Neymar in the squad for this summer's flagship tournament across the United States, Canada and Mexico. The Brazilian icon is now poised to wear the famous yellow jersey for the first time since 2023, competing in his fourth World Cup—and almost certainly his final one.
Ancelotti's Video Call with Neymar

Ancelotti conducted a candid, direct video call with Neymar and national team director Rodrigo Caetano on Thursday, according to Brazilian outlet ge.globo, which put all of the manager's reservations to rest, given how openly receptive Neymar was throughout the discussion. It marked their first direct communication since September.
The coach needed Neymar to fully understand and accept that after three years absent from international duty—his last appearance coming in October 2023, before Ancelotti's tenure began—his role within the squad might look considerably different. The former Real Madrid manager reportedly informed Neymar that he would not serve as captain and that a starting berth was far from guaranteed. The superstar was also asked to scale back his social media activity, in line with the restrictions imposed on the national team since Ancelotti assumed charge last year.
Neymar reportedly conveyed a genuine willingness to comply and contribute to the national team in whatever role best benefits the collective, a response that convinced Ancelotti to select him over 24-year-old Chelsea forward João Pedro.
Neymar was moved to tears in front of family and friends upon learning of his inclusion in the squad. Ancelotti later appeared on Jornal Nacional and disclosed that Neymar had also sent him a personal message expressing gratitude for the opportunity.
The once-in-a-generation talent has recently carried himself with humility and respect in relation to the Seleção and his fellow players—a shift in demeanor that has not gone unnoticed by Ancelotti.
"I've been getting better with each match," he said on Sunday via his YouTube channel, ahead of the announcement. "I'm pleased with my performances and everything I've accomplished so far, and tomorrow, whatever God wills.
"No matter what happens, Ancelotti will surely select the 26 best players for this challenge. I've always been very open about it since my injury—I wanted to play at the World Cup. Naturally, as a player, I want to be there, but if I'm not, I'll simply be another fan cheering Brazil on at the World Cup."
Neymar even jumped on a video call with fellow Brazilian star Raphinha, of Barcelona, on Monday evening, after both players were confirmed in the squad.
"Thank you Raphinha for everything, you know how much I care about you," he said. "Thank you for everything. Thank you so much, brother, genuinely. Let's go, we can do this. Everything is going to be fine. We're going to win this thing."
ไทย
English
中國人